We praise the Lord for saving another innocent Gambian soul from blood-feeding Dictator!

Gambian journalist who had been detained indefinitely has escaped from the lion’s den. Alhagie Abdoulie Ceesay, the manager of Teranga FM Radio, was admitted at the main referral hospital in Banjul for the third time. He had reportedly escaped from his sick bed some time after midnight last week.

For security reasons, Kairo News prefers not to go into detail as how the escape operation was executed, amid heavy security presence at the hospital.

Mr. Ceesay was smuggled out of the country. He is currently resident in the Senegalese capital Dakar, where he is recovering from sickness and trauma. On Friday, the Gambia government confirmed Ceesay’s escape from the intensive care unit of Edward Francis Small Teaching hospital.

The 25-year-old journalist spent more than 200 days in detention. He was admitted at the hospital several times. Like many Gambian detainees, Ceesay too was reportedly tortured. He was reported to be suffering from kidney disease, which requires urgent specialist attention.

Alhagie had been facing sedition charges. He was accused of publishing and sending a picture of President Yahya Jammeh being gun-pointed. Ceesay was arrested and detained briefly. He was again detained and remained so until last week, with the court denying him bail on several occasions. Trial judge Justice Simon Abi also overruled claims by Ceesay’s lawyer that his client was subjected to regular torture.

The journalist denied the charges. The two key prosecution witnesses in the case had earlier left the country. Zainab Koneh and Fatou Drammeh admitted being coerced to lie against Ceesay.



Disclaimer: Views expressed in this section are the author's own and do not represent the editorial policy of Kairo News. Kairo News will trash any comment that inflames tribal, racial or religious hatred.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: